пятница, 18 февраля 2011 г.

I am a fairly frequent visitor of the Korean-American community messageboards called soompi (www.soompi.com/) One might think, "What in the world would bring you there?" True enough, I'm fairly far from a Korean American. I'm not Korean, or even Asian in anyway, incredibly white girl from the European part of Russia and on top of all that, not even American. I'm pretty sure I just missed all the checkpoints. I do speak an Asian language with a fair degree of fluency, but it is Japanese and knowing the history between Japan and Korea that should have only built up tension, should it not have?

However, I do have interest in Korean pop culture, music and fashion and while I don't understand the lyrics in music, I was able to have some fairly in depth discussions about some of the artists on these message boards. No one seemed hostile towards the non-asian girl and in fact there were some bilingual members that were willing to translate some of my favourite songs. My ability to speak Japanese did not create tension, in fact I was asked to translate on a few occasions. While the racially-based communities and forums may seem very isolated from the mainstream internet, I believe that it is not that hard to enter them to some degree and most members will be helpful and kind, and appreciate the interest in their culture from someone who has no connection whatsoever to it.
I am sure that the only time you will end up in a flame war is if you start one yourself. And in that case, you reap what you sow.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий